Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Tackling Terrorism in YA

Zetta Elliott, author of A WISH AFTER MIDNIGHT, has an article up in the Huffington Post called Tackling Terrorism in Teen Lit. Ms. Elliott interviewed me for the article; here's a quote from one of my answers:
"When I was writing Shine, Coconut Moon, I decided I could not write about a Sikh family in a post-9/11 world without also addressing the events of September 11th, 2001. Everyone I knew then was deeply affected, and it was an especially confusing and disillusioning time for the teens I was meeting--particularly South Asian teens who were now thrown into the position of having to choose to either DEFEND their religion/identity, or DISTANCE themselves from it."
There was a third question that didn't make it into the final article, so Zetta posted that answer on her personal blog.

Check out both the article and Ms. Elliott's post! And be sure to leave a comment if you have something to add/contribute.

No comments:

Post a Comment