Monday, August 22, 2011

The Big C

Lately, cancer has been swirling around my life. Earlier in the year, I blogged about fellow YA author, L.K. Madigan, who passed away after a battle with the Big C. Shortly after that, H got a gig working on the show of that same name, the big C, on Showtime. While he was on that show, we found out that a close family member was diagnosed with stage four cancer. Most recently, L.A. Banks passed away. I was surprisingly, and inexplicably, saddened by the death of this woman I've never met. I read her blog for the first time only a few months ago and she seemed to be fighting the good fight. Her blog entries exuded honesty and passion, and I was crushed that the world lost another voice speaking truth to power.

Since I am, and always have been, an alternative kind of gal (and since the battle for accessible health care seems to be sliding down a slippery and corrupt slope) all of this has prompted me to look for alternative options to current, traditional methods of approaching health and healing. In my research, I came across this video which gave me a lot to think about. It's worth watching, even if you're skeptical. I'm big on reading up on everything in every way possible, and this was another angle to the story we're told over and over. I'm also a big believer in questioning the dominant narrative - especially when it's not doing me any good. If you get a chance to see the video, I'd love to know what you think.

In the meantime, my thoughts and prayers (and heart) are with anyone who is struggling with health issues in their lives - whether illness has hit a loved one, or whether you are battling for your own health. Much love and healing vibes your way.

No comments:

Post a Comment